Do you ever feel like the world is against you? Many leaders have risen to the top of their industries by working hard, trying to prove themselves against all odds. But surprisingly, those who have found the greatest success have seen themselves as partners with the world. This deep, sometimes unconscious mindset colors everything from the decisions you make to the habits you form. The question is: do you believe the world will help you get what you want?
Today’s guest is Dr. Stephen Barden. Stephen is an accomplished coach-mentor and author specializing in developing top-level leaders and organizational cultures. He has a decade of experience in the media, technology, and communications sectors, including ten years as a CEO. Stephen brings a unique perspective on leadership and business, and he is the author of the rigorously researched book, How Successful Leaders Do Business with Their World.
Stephen and I talk about his Navigational Stance concept that depicts how leaders see themselves in relation to the world around them. We get into the Navigational Compass, in which he shares some of the behaviors and mindsets that great managers possess.
Members of the Modern Manager community get a slide deck with the SOVOS approach to help you prepare for difficult conversations. Get it when you join the Modern Manager community.
Get FREE mini-sketchnotes with the big idea from the week’s episode delivered to your inbox when you subscribe to my weekly email.
Read the related blog article: Proven Mindsets for the Successful Leader
KEEP UP WITH STEPHEN
Read the Full Transcript.
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:57 What is the Navigational Stance mindset?
- 05:21 How do people come to believe the world is for or against them?
- 10:19 Compass Point: Holism – see all the linkages mindset
- 15:50 Compass Point: Triangular challenge – explore assumptions mindset
- 22:29 Compass Point: Pragmatism – Do the best possible mindset
- 27:42 A great manager Stephen has worked for
- 29:03 Keeping up with Stephen
- 30:45 [Extended episode only] How do we identify potential leaders within our organizations?
- 37:42 [Extended episode only] Holding a partnering mindset with our team members
Get the extended episode by joining The Modern Manager community for just $5 per month.