Of all the learning resources available, sometimes the best one is another person. No matter how much we know about a certain topic or industry, there is likely someone who knows a bit more. Mentorship allows people to grow and learn directly from another person, who shares their wisdom, guidance, motivation, and knowledge. But how frequently is mentorship used in the workplace, and what can we do about it?
Today’s guest is Scott Jeffrey Miller. Scott is a highly sought-after speaker, author, and podcast host. He is a Wall Street Journal bestselling author and currently serves as FranklinCovey’s senior advisor on thought leadership. Prior to his advisor role, Scott was a twenty-¬five-year FranklinCovey associate, serving as the Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President. He hosts On Leadership With Scott Miller, the world’s largest weekly leadership podcast. Scott is a partner in Gray+Miller, a speaking, literary, and talent agency.
We talk about mentorship, why it’s important to find yourself a mentor and how to be one, as well as what to do and what not to do. We also cover the difference between mentoring and coaching and whether managers can mentor their staff, plus a whole lot more.
Members of the Modern Manager community get a digital card deck for mentoring sessions. To complement his book, Scott created a set of handy, quick reference cards to use in your mentoring sessions. The cards highlight key insights from each of the 13 roles, as well as questions, watchouts, and phrases to progress your mentoring success. Get it when you join the Modern Manager community.
Get FREE mini-sketchnotes with the big idea from the week’s episode delivered to your inbox when you subscribe to my weekly email.
Read the related blog article: How to Use Mentorship To Change Your Life
KEEP UP WITH SCOTT
Great Mentorship Website: http://www.greatmentorship.com/
Gray + Miller Website: http://www.graymilleragency.com/
- 00:00 Intro
- 02:27 How is mentorship different from coaching?
- 05:07 Why do we need mentors?
- 08:32 Key roles mentors can play
- 11:05 Role 2: The Boundary Setter
- 15:32 Role 8: The Visionary
- 21:34 How to find the right mentor
- 24:22 How to ask for mentorship so the person will say yes.
- 27:41 A great manager Scott has worked for
- 29:50 Keeping up with Scott
- 31:07 [Extended episode only] Role 1: The Revealer
- 34:50 [Extended episode only] The one thing never to do as a mentor
- 36:01 [Extended episode only] Role 11: The Activator
Get the extended episode by joining The Modern Manager community for just $5 per month.