Whether you want to develop new products, update internal processes, or make sure that every client is satisfied with your service, one thing is true: you need to be clear about your goals. Without direction, you will lose your way. Direction comes from having a bold vision of what you want your life, team, and organization to look like. Then, you must create actionable steps to move forward.
Today’s guest is Lisa McCarthy. Lisa is the CEO and co-founder of the Fast Forward Group, a training and executive coaching company based on the philosophy that when people are living their best lives, they do their best work. Clients include innovative companies of all sizes, including Amazon, Facebook, Google and JPMorgan Chase. Prior to launching Fast Forward, Lisa spent 25 years leading sales organizations at prominent media companies, including ViacomCBS and Univision.
Lisa and I talk about goals and establishing a bold vision. She shares why goals like these are important and she walks us through her process that has helped over 100,000 people achieve their big dreams.
Members of the Modern Manager community get two FREE months of Lisa’s Fast Forward membership program, which has helped thousands of professionals play big, manage stress, and achieve extraordinary success. Get it when you join the Modern Manager community.
Subscribe to my newsletter to get episodes, articles and free mini-guides delivered to your inbox.
Read the related blog article: Set Big Goals With Your Team
KEEP UP WITH LISA
Membership Website: https://fastforwardgroup.net/
Personal Website: https://lisamccarthy.co/
- We resist goal setting because we’re risk averse; we’d rather underpromise and overdeliver.
- To encourage thinking big, managers must assure their team that there won’t be any negative consequences if expectations aren’t reached.
- Challenge self-limiting beliefs (I’m not X enough, I don’t have the right background, etc) that stop you from dreaming of your future.
- Create a vision of where you want to be in a year. What does “extraordinary success” look like?
- Reflect on your qualities. What are you known for in your professional and personal life? What are your most important relationships like? Are these what you want them to be?
- Make goals bold, specific, and measurable. Avoid vague terms like “better” and “more”.
- Be as detailed as possible. What would be accomplished? How would you feel? Write out 2 pages for your vision.
- Have each team member individually create a vision and goals. Then share at a team meeting to build accountability and support.
- Consider a team vision. What would success look like? What kind of language would you use?
- Fast Forward’s monthly free intro workshops: https://fastforwardgroup.net/free-leadership-workshops/
- Fast Foward’s Bold Vision Exercise download: https://fastforwardgroup.net/bold-vision-exercise-download/
- Fast Foward’s Design my Program tool: https://fastforwardgroup.net/design-my-program/