Sometimes, delegating work can feel like more trouble than its worth. Wouldn’t it be nice to have more time for other work? Who will benefit from taking on new responsibilities and growing their skills? But then, how do I make sure the work is done “right”?
In episode 22, I talk with DaveStachowiak, host of Coaching for Leaders podcast about all things delegation. From mindset to practical steps, learn how to hand off work and set everyone up for success.
- Delegation is as much a mindset as it is a practice. As Simon Sinek says, “Leaders aren’t responsible for the results. Leaders are responsible for the people who are responsible for the results.”
- Before you sit down to review the delegated work with an employee, get clear on:
- What is the quality metric? What does success look like? What are the outcomes?
- What is the timeframe for the work?
- What are the budget and resources available for this work?
- Consider: Who is the right person to delegate the work to? Who is already good at this work? Would could benefit from growing in this way?
- Focus on explaining the outcome rather than all the steps of how to do the work to achieve the outcome.
- Consider delegating anything that you aren’t uniquely qualified to do or that is only appropriate for your role.
- Get it in writing to ensure clarity and alignment of expectations for both parties.
- Encourage ownership of the work by having the employee create a plan and come back to you a few days later to review and enhance the plan.
- When reviewing the plan, look for indicators that the plan will accomplish the outcomes within the timeframe, resources and quality metrics.
- When you delegate the right work to the right people, it’s possible to achieve even greater results.
oin the Modern Manager communityand get Dave’s guide11 Crucial Books that Every Leader Should Knowand additional resources to support your learning journey.
Subscribe to my newsletter to get episodes, articles and mini-guides delivered to your inbox.
Listen to my interview on productive meetings on Coaching for Leaders —https://coachingforleaders.com/podcast/358/
KEEP UP WITH DAVE