As managers, we’re constantly communicating with others by email, chat, phone, and in meetings. We share instructions, feedback, praise, and gratitude. We provide information, ask questions, and offer suggestions. In this episode, we discuss the communication skills every manager (not leader) needs.
Get the free mini-guide to help you improve your communication.
Join the Modern Manager community to get the full guide to effective communication and many more resources to support your learning journey.
Subscribe to my newsletter to get episodes, articles and mini-guides delivered to your inbox.
Read the article based on this episode: 5 Communication Skills to Make You a Rockstar Manager
- Share the right information at the right time.
- Provide clarity and be direct. What actions should the person take? What should they do with this information?
- Provide context so the person understand ‘why’ not just ‘what’.
- Check for understanding. Avoid asking ‘yes or no’ questions like ‘does that make sense?’ which can make someone feel embarrassed that they don’t understand.
- Listen actively, respond to cues from the other person.
- Match the medium to the content. Consider which mode of communication – email, chat, meetings, etc – will be the most efficient and effective at delivering the message.
- Say what needs to be said, even if it’s hard. Give feedback, share unpopular opinions and speak up.
Get it touch! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org